Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Poetry Month: Day Eight (by Will)

I chose "Test" because it is an actual event that happened in Georgia that was really passionate for me and  also because I wrote it myself using details from what really happened and from my mentor poet, Sharon Creech.

Test
One day I was swim-swim-swimming
in the sea looking for food
when I heard a small skit-skit-skittering
on the rocks so I
swammmm following my instincts straight
to the crab
so I opened my mouth and
LURCHED forward thinking,
yesyesyesyes
but something pulled me back so
I looked back and saw a HUGE
net grasped around me so I
tug-tug-tugged
until the net fell off
my body
but a net was still attached to
my flipper
and as I tug-tug-tugged
the net grew tight-tight-tighter
until I thought,
I'll never swim again I'll never swim again
but then I was pull-pull-pulled
onto a ship and
I was taken on that
ship to the Georgia Sea Turtle Center
where my staff
Dr. Norton said he would
do surgery to stop the
swell-swell-swelling
of my flipper
so I knew I was in good hands
and I was treated immediately
with nice care and
tasty food in a frozen coolldd ice
block where I had to snap-snap-snap
to get my food
and I was so so happy
that Dr. Norton said my flipper would soon be healed
and when Will and Max S.
adopted me so they could see
how I was doing.

I am Test,
the sea turtle.

-by Will

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Will. When I read your poem, I feel as if I'm the one having an adventure. Plus, you know I love swim-swim-swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can atTest that this is a true story. And wonderfully empathic.
    - Will's proud dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i lllllloooooovvvvvveeeeeee your poem, its so meaningful. i think it was a great idea to do a poem that you wrote yourself. it so good. i love how you reapeated words. is it a true story, do you still have Test? amazing poem.


    - louise

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great-great-great. I could picture the whole think in my mind Will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poem was really excellent. I liked the story and the poetic use of language, such as "skit-skit-skittering." I especially love your ability to empathize with other sentient beings, which you also do so well in your stories. I look forward to your talent progressing. We have a writer in the family! Love, Grandma Iris

    ReplyDelete