Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Poetry Month: Day One (by Louise)

I chose "Class Bully" because at the end of the poem they say" It's guys who don't hit girls who're strong" and that's what my mom would say when ever Gordon or Freddy, (my two brothers) wanted to fight back. Also because Nikki Grimes, ( the author) is my mentor poet and this is my favorite poem that she wrote in her book, "MY MAN BLUE".


Class Bully
       A bully
kicks me in the knee.
That bully's name
is Tiffany.
      I fume
but don't return the blow.
Guys don't hit girls
Blue says, and so
     I grab
her wrists 'til she
calms down, while
     Laughing
jeering kids stand 'round
and shout "You wimp!" But
they're all wrong.
      It's guys
who don't  hit girls
      Who're strong.

-by Nikki Grimes (from My Man Blue)

3 comments:

  1. i love that poem too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this poem! Nikki Grimes has a very nice way of writing poems.

    Great choice Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Dante. I also chose a poem from My Man Blue, but it was a very sad one. Anyway, great poem Louise!


    -Arya

    ReplyDelete